We needed a thread about bike camping.

http://www.blm.gov/ca/st/en.html

Love me some bikepacking!

Comments

• jnerulajnerula Riding Level: 649
  • jerryjerry Riding Level: 4,320
    A++ would die in the snow again
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    I thought that was the point of this thread copy catted from old forum.

http://www.pdxfixed.com/discussion/38/escaping-society#latest
  • colbycolby Riding Level: 399
    wait, this isnt black lives matter?
    Bureau's of Land Matter
  • tvcbtvcb Riding Level: 1,384
    Bacon, Lettuce, and Mayo.
    I thought this was the sandwhich thread.
  • Bamfs01Bamfs01 Riding Level: 270
    @colby said:
    Nah, that'd be stupid. We're on a cycling forum. Leave topics like that to the rest of the Interenet.
  • CekteCekte Riding Level: 1,165
    @Bamfs01 said:
    @colby said:
    Nah, that'd be stupid. We're on a cycling forum. Leave topics like that to the rest of the Interenet.
    Yeah great point. We should probably discuss more important topics like rock climbing, applebees, books, music, and other completely relevant points of interest to this forum. :-/
  • bicyclefunkbicyclefunk Riding Level: 689
    @Cekte said:
    @Bamfs01 said:
    @colby said:
    Yeah great point. We should probably discuss more important topics like rock climbing, applebees, books, music, and other completely relevant points of interest to this forum. :-/
    Excuse me, but this is no place for logic and I'm going to have to ask you to remove yourself from the forum, please.
    Yessss I love Applebee's!
  • McRussellPantsMcRussellPants Riding Level: 681
    I mean, feel free to bump the other thread to scream into the ether about how much 'you really get it'

BECAUSE THIS ONE'S ABOUT APPLEBEES NOW. AWWW YEAH WUBBA LUB LUB
    ugh drove past applebee's today on the way to costco and was SO MAD that kendra wouldn't stop, i took my brand new iphone and threw it out the window and then i threw her wallet and passport out and peed my pants to teach her a lesson. she better not screw up like that again. can't believe she would pull a stunt like that.
    Wow really laughin right now
    almost as bad as when my mom got me a MacBook air instead of a pro for Christmas and I folded it in half and told her to go buy me a pro and then at dinner i told my great grandma I was gay and she had a heart attack
  • McRussellPantsMcRussellPants Riding Level: 681
    real lols irl
    Made out like a fucking bandit at the Applebee's garage sale today, got a Big Agnes Scout UL2 so now I can anjoy my appetizers out in the wood with way less space/weight consumption. Also got a massive tent foot I intend to chop down. Snackpack in style!

#singlelicious
    @jerry @tvcb or whoever, any tips on route planning? Also pack lists?
    edited July 2016
    pack list is really hard because it's very dependent on when and where you're going and how comfortable you want to be.

route planning is really hard because it's very dependent on when and where you're going and how comfortable you want to be.

imo, bring less kitchen/cooking stuff than you think you need. just be able to boil water/fry hot dogs/cook eggs. if you're biking really really far and have access to ready to eat food, you'll realize that cooking is a pain in the ass besides eating an entire box of oatmeal when you're 30 miles outside of the next town.

bring more bike tools and spares than you think you need, and know how to use all of that shit. if you've got a chain tool and spare links but have no idea how to use them, u dum. same with a spoke wrench. get really good at pulling your rear wheel off while your rig is fully loaded.

other peoples gear lists that i like to use as inspiration:
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/laventure_alpine_part_three_logistics
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/kurt_refsniders_2011_tour_divide_setup/
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/oregon_outback_gear_setup_glenn_charles
    http://salsacycles.com/culture/oregon_outback_gear_setup_josh_spice

BRING CHAIN LUBE

oh bring a handful of little bolts and nuts and shit too
  • MiguelMiguel Riding Level: 2,297
    fuck
    yes dammit
    bring chain lube

also, a little section of race tire for a boot isnt a bad idea, otherwise super glue/dental floss/big needle
    if you're in a situation where you're bringing dental floss to sew a tire hole up, also bring shoe goo to coat the tread around the area to prevent the floss from abrading away.
    Tenacious tape (which you may already have for tent and shelter repair) makes a good tire boot unless you like to really over inflate your tires.
  • mixtiememixtieme Riding Level: 496
    Pack less, enjoy more. It's all about limping home for me.

Route planning is multi layerd. Where do you wanna go, then where are you going to get water? Are you going to be stopping for food & refueling. Mark all the bike shops along the route. Research the fuck out of the area- local 4 wheel boys blazing through? Read thier blogs see if they have anything concrete to say about that camp site or water source.
    This has got me out and back on overnighters. Fits in 2 Ortlieb panniers and a front bag:

Bike Multitool
    Leatherman Multitool
    Tube, patch kit, tire lever
    Spoke
    Zip ties
    Leatherman
    Nylon thread, heavy duty sewing needle, string
    Gorilla tape wrapped around a lighter. Bring 2.
    Bike chain lengths

Toothpaste/toothbrush
    Liquid soap
    Chamois butter
    Sunscreen

Sleeping bag
    Air pad
    Tent, waterproof tarp (or Tyvek for ground sheet).
    Skip the tent if it's gunna be dry, just bring waterproof tarp.
    Waterproof clothes
    Sandals
    Puffy jacket
    Beanie
    gloves
    pants

Headlamp
    Front light
    USB charging, 110 & car
    Battery pack
    Radio
    Check AAA batteries in light

Coffee
    First aide supplies
    Food / water
    Water filter

Spork
    Titanium pot
    MSR or alcohol stove
    Fuel flask. Plastic container for alcohol stove fuel.
    Wear wool. Wool socks, wool shirt, wool warm shirt. Wool is your friend.
  • bicyclefunkbicyclefunk Riding Level: 689
    where's your trowel?
    He poops in his puffy to use as a pillow at night.
    Are you new to all this @bicyclefunk ?
    Thanks for the ProTips™ all
    Im doing a forest park shakedown with all my gear on sunday if anyone wants to tag along. Should be about 3 hours of slowish riding, perfect for chatting.
  • bouticrackabouticracka Riding Level: 305
    I need someone to give me a forest park lesson. Like how to get to the different fire lanes. I just go to the top and hit fire lane 4? I should be able to hit any of the fire lanes in forest park on a rigid karate monkey yeah?